Prevention of these types of fires begins with awareness.Although plugging in household items that we use every day or simply flipping a light switch seems harmless, forgetting to unplug and give outlets a break can certainly be a safety hazard.
The 5 most common causes of electrical fires
- Faulty outlets/appliances
- Light fixtures
- Extension cords
- Space heaters
These items are not only found in our homes, but also in our workplaces. It can be very easy to accidentally leave our space heater running in our office or leave lights on when exiting a room, but it can also be very dangerous.
- Hold a plug when removing it from a wall socket
- Use multioutlet extenders and surge protectors
- Use extension cords temporarily
- Avoid running cords under carpeting
- Keep cords away from heat and water sources
It is also important to have your home and work spaces where electrical is found inspected by qualified electricians on a regular basis. They can look over the structures’ wiring in its entirety, smoke detectors, light bulbs, sockets, electrical cords, outlets and any other areas of concern. Find more information regarding scheduling these regular visits here by contacting us.
Fact: 65% of deaths from home fires are a result of smoke detectors not working properly. (Source: EFCI 02.04.15)