Custom Sign Manufacturing and Construction Options
When planning for your primary and secondary business signage, our design team will work with you to find the right type of signage, the right design and the right materials. The possibilities are endless!
Custom Design and Manufacturing
Your signs can be works of art that make a statement. During the design process, we'll consider your location, municipal restrictions, future maintenance, desired purpose, and your audience demographics to determine the best material for your outdoor and indoor signs.
Sign Construction Materials
- Plastics: Most commonly, faces are constructed from various plastics such as acrylic, or polycarbonate. These have varying degrees of durability and weight.
- Flexible Face: For signs that span large areas, a canvas-like, flexible material referred to as Flexible Face may be used to keep the sign from becoming too heavy. Architectural, 3-dimensional, and other signs that require a thermo-formed face will be constructed from a moldable material.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is used for smaller signs and decals. Vinyl can be hand-cut to fit a tight space, has even color and can be translucent, opaque or reflective.
- Aluminum: Aluminum is lightweight and weather resist. It is easily customized, strong, durable and its surface can be brushed or polished to a mirror finish. It is one of the most professional looking and affordable options.
- Stainless Steel: Extremely strong and durable, but it is heavier and less pliable than aluminum.
Sign Bases & Mounts
Signs may stand alone or be mounted to a building. They may integrate an electronic message center for enhanced communications options. Bases and mounts are generally constructed from aluminum or steel. Durability and strength are important, especially for outdoor signage that must withstand weather and wind.
Your designer will make recommendations based on the placement of your sign, which in higher locations may have very different elemental challenges than those placed on the ground.
Signs may be electric and illuminated or non-illuminated. LED sign technology provides exciting opportunities for customization of your signage. LEDs (light emitting diodes) are brighter than traditional bulbs and come in a multitude of temperatures, colors and applications. Our design team will work with you to determine the best lighting application for your brand and your budget.
Frequently Asked Sign Manufacturing Questions
What is Sign Manufacturing?
A sign manufacturing business engages in the following activities:
- Manufacturing of plastic or other material goods used in sign production
- Fabrication of metal or other material goods used in sign production
- Engraving, etching, or other processes used in sign production
- Sign painting
- Any other activity in the business of sign production
The source of supply for signs and displays is the "sign industry." This industry includes all establishments involved in the manufacture, distribution, marketing, and sale of signs and displays.
What Is the Purpose of Signage?
Because all types of businesses have used signs for so long, they are almost invisible to the naked eye, and that's part of their appeal. When people look at a sign, they don't just see the words; they see your brand. Brand elements give a receiver a lot of "visual clues" as to what the message is. In fact, more than 90% of all the information received by the eye is derived from visual clues. Therefore, it is crucial that your signs give off the right visual clues to help communicate your brand or business.
What Makes Good Signage?
Simplicity is the key to making signage work. Don't try to be overly clever or use signs that will distract people in the wrong way. There is more to choosing the right type of sign than just the design. A business owner must also consider the message that the sign will send and whether it fits with the overall image the business is trying to create.
To get more answers for frequently asked questions about interior and exterior signage, visit this page.
What Are the Steps in the Sign Manufacturing Process?
Want to know more about creating a new business sign's design, manufacturing, and installation process? Download a copy of our guide, "11 Important Steps to the Design, Manufacturing, and Installation of Exterior and Interior Business Signs."
We have the resources and know-how to meet any challenge, no matter how complex, and pride ourselves on being honest, forthright and flexible to a fault.
To learn more about working with our talented team of designers, project managers and installers, click here.